Download How to Cancel Netflix Subscription Easily in 2022 (Guide) for free
Trying to limit your subscription budget? Well, we all know that Netflix is one of the most expensive OTT services in many countries, so I won’t blame you for thinking it’s the one that burns a hole in your pocket. However, Netflix recently lowered prices in many countries to take advantage of fierce competition with other streaming services. You can check how much Netflix costs in each country and decide if you want to cancel your Netflix subscription or change your membership plan instead. This article explains how to cancel your Netflix subscription and other things to consider. So, if you’re ready to save some money, let’s get started.
Cancel Netflix subscription (January 2022)
To cancel a Netflix subscription, you need to access the account settings, which requires a web browser. So if your device has access to a web browser, you can cancel your Netflix membership in a few easy steps. So, in addition to the important points to remember after canceling your subscription, let’s take a look at how to cancel your Netflix subscription on Android, iOS and desktop PCs.
Cancel Netflix subscription in web browser
Canceling your Netflix subscription is a simple and short process. However, it does not take effect immediately. With Netflix, you can enjoy the subscription until your billing cycle ends, even after you cancel your subscription. With that in mind, it is better to think about the cancellation in advance to avoid additional costs.
If you’re determined to stop using Netflix, here are the steps to follow to unsubscribe from a web browser on your Mac, Windows, or Linux laptop or desktop PC.
- Sign in to Netflix from a web browser of your choice. Now move over the profile icon in the top right corner and click on “account“.
- Here you will see the “Cancel membership” under the “Membership and Billing” section.
- Click on it and confirm your cancellation on the next page. You must click the “Complete Cancellation” button to terminate your membership on the streaming platform.
This page will ask for the termination date, which is also the end of your current billing cycle. Also, Netflix does not want its customers to leave the platform for good. Therefore, they keep your viewing preferences for 10 months from the date of cancellation. You can restart your membership at any time and resume your experience as you left it.
Remark: If you don’t see the “Cancel subscription” option, it means that your subscription is being handled by a third-party customer, such as your smart TV company or Internet service provider (ISP). In such cases, please contact the service provider to cancel your Netflix subscription.
How to cancel Netflix subscription on Android
The Netflix app on Android has some exclusive settings that are similar to the desktop app. However, most of it focuses on downloading content for offline viewing and limiting data usage. However, if you want to change other account-related settings, you will be redirected to a browser page. You can navigate through the Netflix app to access the account settings by following the steps below:
- Sign in to the Netflix app on your Android device. Tap the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Select “account” from the list of options on the profile page. It will direct you to the Account Setting page in a web browser. Yes, the Netflix Android app does not include the account settings and you will now see a similar cancellation flow to the browser method we explained above.
- Then scroll down and click on the “Cancel membership” option.
- Finally, on the next page, confirm the cancellation by pressing the blue “Complete cancellation” button. Then Netflix shows you a confirmation message that reads – “We have canceled your membership“.
How to cancel Netflix subscription on iPhone
Netflix does not allow you to change account settings from your iPhone, iPad, or other streaming devices. Therefore, you need to log into Netflix using a web browser on your Android phone or PC to access these settings. Then follow the same process as described for the web browser section.
If you open the Netflix app on your iPhone and tap the profile icon in the top right corner, you’ll see the page in the left screenshot below. Here select “Account”, and you will see a message read – “Looking for your account settings? Go to Netflix on the web to manage your account.”
Cancel Netflix subscription on Smart TV
Just like the iPhone or iPad, Netflix does not allow you to access the account settings page from the app on your smart TV or streaming devices. So again, you need to log into your Netflix account from a browser window and follow the steps outlined in the web browser section above.
Things to Remember When Canceling a Netflix Subscription
Staying away from your monthly dose of entertainment can be annoying. So if you’re making this decision in the heat of the moment, here are a few things to remember about canceling your Netflix subscription:
- The cancellation will take effect after the end of your current billing cycle.
- Removing or not using Netflix will not cancel your subscription or membership. You must follow the steps in this guide to not subscribe to the streaming service and save your money.
- Your data is stored with Netflix for 10 months if you want to restart your membership in the future.
- If you choose to resume membership, you will be required to prepay for the next month.
- Change your Netflix account password if you have a shared account to prevent someone else from renewing the subscription without your notice.
- If you don’t have an automatic payment option, you can skip further payments without canceling the subscription. It will not cost you anything extra if you rejoin or renew your membership.
- If your account is on hold, the cancellation will take effect immediately.
- Let’s say you used a gift card or promotional offer to access Netflix. In that case, the streaming service will continue the subscription until the card balance is used up. After that, you can choose whether to continue the membership and enjoy the best movies and best tv series on netflix.
Change your Netflix membership plan instead
Netflix has multiple subscription levels. So if you are using the Premium or Standard plan, you can downgrade it to the Basic plan to save some money. And in some countries, such as India, the Philippines or Vietnam, you can also opt for a cheaper mobile-only plan to further maximize your savings. That depends entirely on your original purpose of canceling your Netflix subscription. Here’s a comparison of the three most important Netflix subscriptions and the benefits they provide to viewers.
If you’re willing to compromise on device limitations and lower video quality, it’s better to switch to a cheaper plan to lower your costs. This way, you don’t have to sacrifice the binge-watching experience that Netflix pioneered.
Stop Netflix Subscription: Frequently Asked Questions
How do I cancel Netflix on my phone?
You can navigate to the account settings option from the Netflix app on your phone, which will open the settings in a browser. There is no direct way to cancel the Netflix subscription from the app on your phone, especially on the iPhone. Also, uninstalling the app doesn’t help.
Will Netflix charge if I cancel my subscription?
There is no extra costs to cancel a Netflix subscription. However, you can use your subscription until the last date of the billing cycle, as there is no refund for your existing subscription.
How do I stop automatic renewal on Netflix?
You can use a payment method that requires authentication for each payment, such as a debit card. Otherwise, you can cancel the “standing order” for Netflix payments through internet banking or ask your bank provider to cancel the payments for Netflix. The last option is to cancel the subscription to avoid additional billing.
Can I cancel Netflix at any time?
Yes, you can cancel your Netflix account at any time. However, signing out of Netflix or deleting the app will not cancel your subscription.
Easiest ways to cancel Netflix subscription
There can be many reasons to cancel your Netflix subscription. You may be moving to another country, teaming up with other family members to use one account, or want to give other Netflix alternatives like Disney+, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video a shot. Either way, the process of canceling a Netflix subscription is faster than cooking two-minute noodles. We’ve covered all the steps in this article and hope they help you cancel your membership. If this guide has proved helpful, don’t forget to share it with your friends and family in need. If you have any questions, let us know in the comments below, and we’ll help you out.