There are times when you are no longer satisfied with your current username on a social media platform and would prefer a new one. Snapchat, like other popular messaging apps, offers a way to change your name. However, what you can change is your Snapchat display name and not the username you set when creating the account. If you’re looking for a way to change your Snapchat username, read on to find out how.
Change Your Snapchat Username (2022)
For security reasons, Snapchat does not allow you to change your username. However, you can change your display name that appears on your profile and is visible to your friends and other Snapchat users. That said, if you’re absolutely sure you need to change your Snapchat username, we’ve detailed what you can do in the section below.
Snapchat Display Name vs Username
Before we go over the steps to change your Snapchat display name and username, let’s briefly discuss the difference between the two. Your display name is your Snapchat profile name, which is what users see in the conversation window. Not only can you change your own display name, but others can also change your display name on their side.
As for your Snapchat username, you choose a unique one when you first create an account. But if you’re wondering now, is there a way to change your snapchat username? Well, we have answered your question in detail in the section below, so read on to learn more.
How to Change Snapchat Display Name (Android and iOS)
1. Open Snapchat and tap your Bitmoji icon in the top left corner. From the profile page, tap the Settings icon in the upper right corner.
2. Under “My Account” settings, tap “Name” to change your display name. While you might be tempted to tap the Username field below in the Snapchat settings, if you do, nothing will happen, and you won’t be able to change it here.
3. All you need to do now is enter a new Snapchat display name and press the green “Save” button.
4. After you save the new display name, it will immediately appear on your Snapchat profile, as you can see in the image below:
Change Snapchat Username (Android and iOS)
Unfortunately, the the only viable option to really change your Snapchat username is to delete your Snapchat account and create a new one. You can refer to the linked manual for instructions to: delete your Snapchat account. While the process of creating a new account isn’t complicated, the downside to this approach is that you can’t transfer your data to the new account and instead have to start over. That said, here are the steps to create a new Snapchat account.
1. Delete your current Snapchat account by following the instructions in the guide linked above. Then, click the “Sign Up” button from the home screen. On the next page, enter your first and last name and tap the “Sign Up and Accept” button.
2. After entering your name, you need to add your birthday information. You can use the included date picker to enter your birthday and tap “Continue” to continue.
3. Now, enter a new username and set a password. As mentioned above, you cannot change your Snapchat username later, and it would be a good idea to choose a username that you will not regret later.
4. Enter your email address to complete the sign-up process. You also have the option to use your phone number and authenticate with OTP instead. And that’s it. You have successfully learned the solution to change your Snapchat username.
Easily change your name in Snapchat
While it’s disappointing that you can’t change your username in Snapchat, most users will probably be happy with the option to change the display name. If you are confident in your decision to change your Snapchat username, the only way to do it is to create a new account. While you’re at it, don’t forget to check out our guide at how to recover your snapchat account in case you lose access to an old account. If you have any other questions, feel free to share them in the comments section below.