Over the last few years, Microsoft has been getting really aggressive with the online account requirement on both Windows 10 and 11. So much so that Microsoft altogether removed the option to create a local account on Windows 11 Home. Many users are frustrated with the “Offline account” option missing during Windows 11 setup. But there’s nothing to worry about. In this guide, we have added four ways to create a local account on Windows 11† You will be able to install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account or an internet connection. So on that note, let’s go ahead and check out the instructions.
Create a Local Account on Windows 11 (2022)
In this tutorial, we have added multiple ways to create a local account on Windows 11, steering clear of the Microsoft account requirement. You will even find a way to create a local account on Windows 11 Home during setup. Expand the table below to directly move to any of the methods.
Method 1: Create a Local Account on Windows 11 During Setup
if you have clean installed Windows 11 on your PC, and you are unable to create a local account during setup, blame it on Microsoft. The company is pushing users to create an online account, and the option to add a local account is hidden under layers of different menus and sub-menus. In case you are a Windows 11 Home user, Microsoft does not even offer an option to create a local account during setup. The “Offline account” option is missing for Windows 11 Home users.
As of now, only Windows 11 Pro users can create a local account during setup. For more such information, read our dedicated article on the differences between Windows 11 Home and Pro† Nevertheless, we will bypass all these restrictions and make a local account on Windows 11 for both Home and Pro editions. This way, you will be able to install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account. Here are the steps to follow.
Windows 11 Home Edition
1. First, connect your Windows 11 PC to a Wi-Fi network or a wired Ethernet connection. We need to do this to proceed through the initial onboarding setup. Once you reach the sign-in page, unplug the Ethernet cable or turn off the router for the time being.
note† In case you don’t have access to an internet connection, move straight to Method 2 in this article.
2. Now that your computer is not connected to the internet, click on “CreateOne!” to create a new Microsoft account.
3. Since your PC is offline, Windows 11 will now be forced to offer a local account option. On the next page, give a name to your local account.
4. On the next screen, you can set a password for your PC, and that’s it. You have successfully created an offline account on Windows 11 Home during setup.
Windows 11 Pro Edition
Microsoft offers an option to create an offline account for Windows 11 Pro users, but as mentioned above, it’s hidden. So here’s how you can access the local account option and how it works.
1. On the setup page, click on “Sign in options†
2. Next, click on “Offline account” and choose “Limited Experience”.
3. Finally, you can set a username and password† and a local account will be created on your Windows 11 PC. So this is how you can install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account with ease.
Method 2: Set Up Windows 11 Home Without Internet and a Local Account
In case you have a custom-built PC with no access to an Ethernet connection or Wi-Fi card/ adapter, it becomes tough to install Windows 11 Home, let alone create a local account. Nevertheless, there is a workaround, and we are here to describe it for you. So follow the below steps, and you will have Windows 11 Home with a local offline account set up in no time.
1. When you reach the network page during the setup, press “Shift + F10” to open a Command Prompt window. Lord, type
taskmgr and hit Enter to open the Task Manager.
2. Under the “Processes” tab, look for “Network Connection Flow† Now, select it and click on “End task”.
3. Close the Task Manager and CMD window. Now, you will be redirected to the same offline account setup flow as we saw above. And you will be able to set up Windows 11 Home with a local account without requiring an internet connection. Easy peasy, right?
Method 3: Create a Local Account on Windows 11 After Installation
If you have already installed Windows 11 and wish to create a separate local account on Windows 11, follow our instructions below. It works for both Windows 11 Home and Pro users.
1. Press the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Windows + I” to open the Settings app. Lord, move to “Accounts” from the left sidebar and select “Family and other users” on the right pane.
2. Next, click on the “Add account” button under “Other users”.
3. From the pop-up that appears, click on “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information” to create a local account†
4. After that, click on”Add a user without a Microsoft account†
5. Now, enter the name and password for the new local account and click on “Next† And that’s it. You have successfully set up a new local account on your Windows 11 PC.
6. You can now switch to the new local user on Windows 11 from the Start menu just like that.
Method 4: Switch From Microsoft Account to a Local Account on Windows 11
If you have signed in with an online Microsoft account on an existing Windows 11 installation and wish to move the current user to a local account, you can do that easily. We have already written a detailed guide on how to remove a Microsoft account from Windows 11but we will briefly demonstrate the steps for your convenience.
1. Use the “Windows + I” keyboard shortcut to open Windows Settings. Here, move to “Accounts” and select “Your Info” from the right panel.
2. Under the “Account settings” section, click on “Sign in with a local account instead†
3. A pop-up window will now open up to confirm your action. Click on “Next†
4. Now, enter the PIN or password for your Microsoft account and press Enter.
5. On the next page, enter the username and password for the local account, and you are done. You will successfully move from an online Microsoft account to a local account on your Windows 11 PC instantly.
Bypass Microsoft Account and Create a Local Account on Windows 11
So that’s how you install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account. We have added four easy methods to create a local account on Windows 11, including during setup, post-installation, and moving an existing Microsoft account to a local account. With our instructions above, you can even bypass the online account requirement on Windows 11 Home. Anyway, that’s pretty much it for this tutorial. If you are looking for the best live wallpaper apps for Windows 11, go through our curated list. In case the Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting on your Windows 11 PC, we have a long list of solutions in the linked article. Finally, if you have any other questions, feel free to let us know in the comments section below.