The introduction of dark mode for apps peaked in 2019. Almost all other software manufacturers have focused on introducing dark mode for their applications. With the introduction of system-wide dark themes on Android and iOS, getting into the dark side suddenly became seamless. However, if there is one app that has not followed the industry trend, it has to be Snapchat. The photocentric messaging platform finally rolled out Dark Mode on iOS earlier this year, with Android support coming soon. Today we are going to go through the steps required to enable dark mode on Snapchat.
Download Snapchat Dark Mode on iOS and Android (2022)
While the Snapchat app on the iPhone has a native option to enable or disable the dark theme, the setting is missing in the Android app. Now, many Android users have long wondered how to get Dark Mode in Snapchat on their device. And then you’ve come to the right place. We added a handy solution to enable the dark theme in Snapchat on your Android phone. So without further ado, let’s dive in.
Enable dark mode in Snapchat on your iPhone
1. Tap the Bitmoji icon in the top left corner to open your Snapchat profile.
2. On the profile page, press the Settings gear icon in the top right corner of the screen.
3. Under “My Account”, tap “App Appearance” to display the option to change the Snapchat theme.
4. In the settings, select “App appearance” “Always dark“To enable dark mode on Snapchat from your iPhone.
Download Snapchat Dark Mode on your Android phone
Snapchat doesn’t have an official dark mode setting for Android yet. We’ll update this section as soon as Snapchat announces the dark theme for its Android app. The next option you will now be given is to enable the “Force system-wide dark mode” option in the developer options. While it’s not perfect, it’s better than staring at the current retinal blind light mode on Android. So, in case you are interested in forcibly enabling dark mode in Snapchat for Android, here’s how:
1. Open the Settings app and press “Via phone“. Now scroll down until you find the “Build Number” and tap on it seven times. You have now activated developer mode on your Android device.
2. Go back to the Settings homepage and navigate to “System -> Developer Options“To access developer options.
3. Here, Turn on the “Force dark overwrite” switch, and you have successfully enabled Forced Dark Mode on your phone. In the future, you’ll find that Android inverts colors in apps that don’t natively support dark mode.
Annotation: Unfortunately, newer versions of Snapchat don’t respond to forced dark mode and the Android app stays in the light theme. Hence, you’ll need to download and install an older version of Snapchat from APKMirror.
4. Click on the APKMirror link and hit the “Download APK” button to download Snapchat version 10.72.0.0 to your device. If you take this approach, you may be missing out on new features, but that’s a sacrifice that you have to make to get the dark Snapchat theme right away.
5. As you can see in the image below, the forced dark mode toggle will help you manually enable the dark theme in Snapchat for Android. The text is easy to read and has no legibility problems.
So yes, this is the only solution that will allow you to instantly enable Dark Mode in Snapchat on an Android device.
Just turn on dark mode on Snapchat
Snapchat is one of the few mainstream social media apps that won’t have dark theme support on Android until 2021. While we hope the company changes something over the next year, we hope this guide has helped you get a taste of what it is now. If you want to enable dark mode in other popular apps, check out our in-depth guide on how to enable dark mode anywhere.