Chickens are one of the most underrated mobs in minecraft. They are easy to kill, and generally, don’t have much combat value. But, once killed, they offer one of the game’s best food sources and trading items. Eating chicken restores plenty of your health, and you can even use their feathers to trade with villagers. However, they are only reliable when you have plenty of them. That’s where we are stepping in to help you learn how to make a chicken farm in Minecraft. With this farm, you can get dozens of cooked chickens and feathers automatically and in no time. So, without further ado, let’s make an automatic chicken farm in Minecraft.
Make a Chicken Farm in Minecraft (2022)
The process of making a chicken farm, in itself, is relatively easy. But you must know all about the chickens, as a mob, first. For that, we are initially covering the game mechanics related to chickens. If you already know about them, use the table below to directly move to the farm building process.
How to Get Chickens in Minecraft
The main part of a chicken farm is, as you might expect, the chickens. You need at least two chickens to get your chicken farm started. They most commonly spawn in groups of four within all biomes except snowy and desert biomes. The easiest way to find this passive mob is by visiting villages.
In the same village, you can also collect seeds by breaking crops and grass. Chickens are naturally attracted to seeds, and you can use these seeds to lure them to the area where you are building your farm in Minecraft. Alternatively, you can also use lead to pull them around. Since chickens can avoid fall damage in minecraftyou can even use Elytra to fly them around.
How to Breed Chickens in Minecraft
Every 5 to 10 minutes, chickens naturally lay eggs in Minecraft. These eggs don’t do anything on their own. But if the eggs are thrown, every egg has a 1/8 chance of spawning a baby chicken or a chick. On the other hand, if you manually breed two chickens, they will spawn a chick every single time. For the chicken farm, we are going to use both of these mechanics.
To breed a chicken, you simply need to get two chickens close to each other and feed them seeds. You can use wheat seeds, beetroot seeds, melon seeds, or pumpkin seeds. We suggest you go with wheat seeds, as you can get a lot of them by breaking grass. Once a chick spawns, you have to wait for 5 minutes before breeding the same chickens again.
Items Required to Make a Chicken Farm
You need the following items to make a chicken farm in Minecraft:
- Two Chickens
- Forty Four Seeds (Any)
- One Carpet
- One Lava Bucket
- Two Hoppers
- Two Chests
- One Slab
- Two Dispensers
- Ten Building Blocks (any)
- Two Pieces of Redstone Dust
- Two Observers
- One Comparator
- Eight Glass blocks
Please note that other than the chests, none of the blocks in this build should be made out of wood. Since we will be using lava on the farm, flammable wooden blocks can put the entire structure at risk. Having said that, all the materials you need for this farm are easy to collect in Minecraft. Because of that, you can create it early on in your survival world.
How to Make an Automatic Chicken Farm in Minecraft
Even though this farm’s design is now common in the community, it was first created by the YouTuber mystical. Follow the steps below to make a chicken farm in Minecraft:
1. first, put two chests on the ground and then put a hopper behind one of those chests. This hopper should be facing the chest.
2. Then, put a building block behind that hopper with two dispensers on top of that building block. These dispensers should be facing the hopper.
3. Then, put a slab on top of the hopper. Once everything is in place, surround the hopper with two-block high walls of glass.
4.Now, put a hopper behind the bottom dispenser and a piece of carpet on top of that hopper. This hopper should be connected to the dispenser.
5. After that, place a building block on the ground behind the new hopper. Then, put a comparator on top of that block. The comparator’s two pins should be towards the hopper.
6. Now, put an observer right on top of the comparator. You have to make sure that the observer’s side with Redstone is facing upwards.
7. Finally, place two glass blocks on either side of the carpet to surround it. then, put a lava bucket in the top dispenser.
How to Make the Chicken Farm Work
With most of the farm’s structure ready, it’s time for you to do some extra work. Follow these steps to finish your automatic chicken farm in Minecraft:
1. First, place one building block on each block around the carpeted hopper, ie on the glass blocks, dispenser, and observer. this will turn the carpeted area into a cage from which chickens can’t get out. after that, you need to make a temporary staircase starting from the ground and leading up to the carpeted hopper.
2. Use seeds or lead to make two chickens go up the staircase and drop on top of the carpeted hopper.
3. Once both chickens are in place, you have to use seeds to breed them. We need a total of 24 chickens in this enclosed space. If you put more than 24 chickens, the game will start killing them due to entity cramming.
4. Once you have enough chickens, place an observer on top or them. The arrow on top of the observer’s face should face the chests. Then, remove all the temporary blocks.
5. Finally, to automate the chicken farm, place a piece of Redstone on top of the observer that is behind the newly placed observer. Then, place another piece of Redstone on top of the dispenser that is right in front of the newly placed observer.
How Does the Chicken Farm Work
Now that your farm is ready, it’s time to understand how it works. First, the chickens on top of the carpet will lay eggs that get collected in the hopper beneath the carpet. Then, the hopper will send the eggs into the dispenser, which will throw them until a chick comes out. After a while, the chick will grow and trigger the observer making it unleash lava onto the chickens.
The lava will instantly kill the chicken, making it drop feathers and cooked chicken food into the hopper beneath the slab. This loot from the chicken is your reward that you can easily collect from the chest. The best part is that, after the initial breeding, you don’t have to put any effort into the working of this farm.
How to Use Feathers in Minecraft
Cooked chicken, as food, is amazing for healing and restoring your hunger bar. On the other hand, the feathers collected by the chicken farm in Minecraft can’t be used directly. Instead, you can use the feathers to:
- Create a firework star, book & quill, and arrows.
- You can use the feathers to buy emeralds from fletcher villagers. But usually, the cost of emeralds is quite high. So, it’s best to first cure a zombie villager to get better trading deals.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Creeper proof the chicken farm?
How do you make a chicken egg farm in Minecraft?
If you only want to collect eggs, you can replace the dispenser, that throws eggs, with a chest. The chickens will continue laying eggs but instead of them getting thrown, the hopper will safely put them in a chest.
How do you make a big chicken coop in Minecraft?
To create a chicken coop, first, remove the lava and collection area from the farm. Then expand the spawn area of the chicken. The rest of the farm will work in the same manner but instead of killing the chickens, it will start collecting them.
Tutorial To Make Automatic Chicken Farm in Minecraft
With that, you are now ready to create your own automatic chicken farm in Minecraft. It is one of the best farms for beginners as it allows you to understand the game’s breeding and farming mechanics at the same time. Though, if you want to take it a step further, you can try building an Enderman farm in Minecraft. It is one of the most rewarding and effortful farms in the game. On the contrary, for something easier to build, you can try to make a cow farm in minecraft. It’s as easy as breeding chickens. Having said that, what are you planning to collect from your chicken farm? Tell us in the comments below.