Download How to Remove Background Noise in FaceTime Calls [Guide] for free
When involved in serious FaceTime calls, background noise is the last thing you want to deal with. In such a situation, the more attentive you try to be, the more annoying it gets. So, how do you keep the ambient noise out of conversations so that your communication doesn’t stall or get interrupted? Well, as it turns out, Apple has come up with a nifty feature that lets you remove background noise in FaceTime calls. if your FaceTime viewing party is affected by the unwanted screaming, let me show you how to enable voice isolation in FaceTime calls to remove background noise on iPhone, iPad and Mac.
Isolate Background Noise in FaceTime Calls (2022)
Before looking at the steps to enable the feature, let’s take a look at how speech isolation works in FaceTime and which devices support it.
How does speech isolation work in FaceTime?
Speech Isolation uses machine learning (ML) technology to suppress ambient noise and prioritize your voice in FaceTime calls. Therefore, the surrounding ambient noise will not affect your ongoing conversation.
By default, FaceTime uses the default microphone on your Apple device. However, once you set Speech Isolation as your preferred option, the video calling app will block unwanted noise from all other calls from the start.
As for noise cancellation efficiency, it fits the bill and does a pretty good job – regardless of location. While we managed to get impressive sound quality in a not-so-noisy environment, it didn’t yield the same result in a boisterous environment like a bus stop. However, you can get through the conversations easily from anywhere.
Which devices support FaceTime’s speech isolation feature?
FaceTime’s Voice Isolation feature is exclusive to Apple devices with the A12 Bionic chip (a 64-bit ARM-based system on a chip) or newer processors. That means you need one of the following devices to use this feature in FaceTime:
- iPhone SE (second generation)
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
Does FaceTime’s Speech Isolation Work with Third-Party Apps?
Yes it does! Probably the best thing about the Speech Isolation feature in FaceTime is the ability to work with third-party apps as well. However, it is entirely up to the developers to make their apps compatible with this feature. Based on our personal testing, we can confirm that FaceTime’s Speech Isolation feature works with:
- Facebook messenger
Enable Speech Isolation to Remove Background Noise in FaceTime Calls on iPhone and iPad
1. Launch the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad and make a call as usual.
2. Now open the control center.
- On iPhone and iPad without a home button: Swipe down from the top right corner of the screen.
- On iPhone and iPad with a home button: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
3. Then tap the “Microphone Mode” tile in the top right corner of the control center.
4. Then you have three options to choose from:
- Standard microphone: As the name suggests, this allows you to use the standard microphone that does not filter out noise.
- Speech Isolation: When enabled, it isolates the background noises and allows others in the FaceTime call to hear you clearly.
- Wide spectrum: This microphone mode is designed to bring any sound into your conversation. Turn on this feature at times when you want others to be able to hear everything that’s happening around you.
5. Now you have to choose”Speech isolation” under “Mic Mode” and return to the conversation.
Remark: It is important to note that speech isolation works in a similar way in the supported third-party apps such as WhatsApp and Zoom. Once you have made a call, open Control Center -> Mic Mode -> Speech Isolation.
Enable Speech Isolation to Remove Background Noise in FaceTime Calls on Mac
Using the Speech Isolation feature in FaceTime on Mac is just as easy. Follow the steps below to know how it works:
1. First, start or join a FaceTime call. Then click on the Control Center icon in the top right corner of the menu bar and choose Microphone mode.
2. Select now Speech isolation from the list of available microphone modes and return to the conversation. That is it. All ambient noise in your FaceTime call will now be removed.
Use the speech isolation microphone mode to enhance your FaceTime calls
So here’s how you can use voice isolation to filter out the ambient noise from FaceTime calls. As mentioned above, the feature works reliably in removing unwanted sounds. With the addition of SharePlay to watch movies and TV shows via FaceTime, seamless screen sharing on Apple devicesand the ability to use Apple FaceTime on Windows and android, Apple’s video calling app now seems well-equipped to take on Zoom, Google Meet, and Microsoft Teams. What do you think of this handy new FaceTime feature? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.